Friday, October 24, 2014

Reasons Why I Probably Shouldn't Befriend My Readers...But Why I Do It Anyway.

As a new author, with only one book currently available and my second book coming out in a couple months, one could say that I'm desperate for readers. 

First novel.
Second novel.

With this day in age, technology has given us as authors the ability to communicate with our readers, and many of us enjoy doing so.  I'm going to be the first to admit that I love talking with readers of my books, or people interested in reading my books.  For me, it means I am doing my job correctly and reaching out to a certain group of people and communicating with them.

But here are the reasons why I probably shouldn't be doing that.

Say for instance I befriend a reader, alright?  And we really do actually become friends, it makes the author-reader relationship tainted.  Yes, we're friends so that should be better, but if I befriend every reader I have, are they friends or readers?  

Secondly, think about it like this:  I have differing opinions than a reader and we're friends and they know a lot about me because of the friendship I earned with them and we get into a fight over something that is in my writing or that I believe is right or wrong.  Chances are that person is probably never going to pick up another one of my books again because our "personal" relationship was ruined and it's not longer just a fan or follower.

So with those things in mind, I probably shouldn't go around befriending readers, right?

Well, here are the reasons why I do (but probably shouldn't).

I am an author and getting to know my readers makes things feel different.  It's not just me talking to people about my books, but they can give honest feedback and be a part of my life.  As a person with no very many friends, when the opportunity arises to meet some new people, I'm not one to back down, although 95% of the time I probably don't really like them all on a personal level.  But there's that little 5% chance that I could meet a real, true friend, and if them reading my books is what makes that friendship happen, why not go for it?

Everything happens for a reason.  So readers, do NOT hesitate to communicate with me.  I am on Facebook, Goodreads, and Twitter, so feel free to talk to me any time you wish.  Without you, there'd be no point in being an author and I have you personally to thank.

No comments:

Post a Comment