Saturday, November 22, 2014

Before I Break Sequel...Or Two?

Alright guys, I have a very important announcement to make, and while many of you are probably going to be upset about the idea, I know many of you are going to be ecstatic.  

Ever since Before I Break released in September, I've been struggling with whether or not I am going to write a sequel to Before I Break, because originally the idea was meant to be a standalone novel.  But by the time I finished the book, I knew there was more to tell.  I figured that I would wait to see the readers' responses, and if they liked it, I would write more.  On Goodreads, I even made a section where readers could tell me whether or not they want a sequel to Before I Break.  

Of course, that got no responses, but I did hear from a few readers, and all of them told me that they believed the book should remain a standalone.  It wasn't like I didn't understand, I mean, I wrote it AS a standalone.  Hell, even the epilogue skips ten years, so readers probably think that by writing a sequel, I'd be majorly screwing it up.

I, on the other hand, don't believe that.

This right here is news to everyone:  I actually started writing a sequel for Before I Break almost immediately after it came out and didn't like where it was going and put it on hold.  But after having a few months to separate myself from that work and focus on something else, I need to admit something.

I miss Cyril.  I miss Melissa, and Avery, and Austin, and even Jake for crying out loud.  I miss those characters more than I think I miss real people, because to me they were real and I feel like they deserve better than they got.  I feel like their stories just aren't over.  I feel like, if I leave them hanging like I did in Before I Break, there's so much we miss.

Think about it.  Our lives are always changing and things are always happening to us that make a good story.  Every day of our life is a chapter, and I feel the same way for these characters.  They deserve more than a teeny, tiny book that tells only one portion of their lives, because everything that happened in Before I Break affects them as people later on.

And I know after reading Before I Break, most people were wondering, "Who the hell is Jessica?"  Well, don't worry, you're going to find out.

It's taken me a long time to say this, but after getting a request, I am going to make this announcement now.  There are going to be two more books.

YES.  TWO MORE BOOKS.

So what are the concepts of these two books?  I won't say much because I don't want to spoil for those who have yet to read Before I Break but the next two books are going to be called Once I Fall and Until It's Done.  Both books are going to be set to release before the end of 2016.

I've truly missed these characters with all my heart.  Here are some of the things I will say in regards to the books.

  • Once I Fall will consist of Cyril's point of view and Melissa's point of view.
  • Once I Fall will take place in between some of the time of the ten years between the last chapter of Before I Break and it's epilogue.
  • Until It's Done will be written in a dual-POV of Cyril's two boys.
  • A short story is planned to be included in one of these novels from Jake's POV.
  • While there are no set release dates, the plan is to publish Once I Fall in 2015 and Until It's Done in 2016.
So there you have it, everyone.  What do you think about the announcement?




2 comments: